The lot on which the church now stands was purchased in 1892 for $300. The modified Gothic-style church was completed in 1896 and dedicated in 1897. The original construction featured a framed, three-story belfry, steep Gothic gables, bead-board wainscoting and chair rails around its lower exterior wall, and decorative pressed-tin ceiling. The current congregation still rings the old, original church bell that hangs in the steeple-topped tower.
The plain glass windows were replaced with antique smoked glass in 1965 and the back of the sanctuary was partitioned off for an office and a restroom. A painted and stained glass window depicting the story of the “rich young ruler” was also added in the chancel that year. The beautiful stained glass window originally hung in the home of Lewis K. Thompson, built in 1890 in Sherman, Texas. It was donated to Austin College where it hung in the chapel of the “Old Main” building until that building burned in 1913. Following the fire, the window was placed in storage. Mr. & Mrs. A. M. Pate, Jr. purchased the window from Austin College and had it installed in the church.
In the 1970s, the Church underwent some restoration and in 1974 received a Texas Historical Marker designating it as a Recorded Historical Texas Landmark.
New stained glass windows replaced the colored glass in 1996. The original window frames are still in place.
In 2016, the choir loft was redesigned to better position the choir, and new carpet was installed in the chancel area, back alcove, and two main isles. New pews were installed throughout the Sanctuary in 2017. The historic church building remains a place of worship and sanctuary more than 120 years later.
The main parking lot is located at the corner of Travis and Bridge Streets. The entrance is located on Travis Street.
Handicap parking is available behind the Sanctuary. The entrance is directly to the right of the Sanctuary.
Parking is also available behind Fellowship Hall. The entrance is located on Bridge St on the left of the building (enter under the porte-cochère).